Choosing the perfect illumination solution for fruit and vegetable crops
Fruit and vegetable production is on the increase and has a growing presence in the agriculture industry. Finding innovative solutions that propagate crop growth and encourage blooming is, therefore, incredibly important. Thanks to technology, lights manufactured specifically for use on fruit and vegetable farms are now available on the market. Specific use of LED lights for crops is incredibly beneficial for vegetable growth. This article addresses the key factors that need to be taken into account when choosing lighting solutions and the advantages they have for crops of all kinds.
This article addresses...
- KEY ASPECTS OF SELECTING LIGHTING SOLUTIONS FOR CROPS
- THE ADVANTAGES OF CORRECT LIGHTING
- THE SECOM PROTEK Q2 LUMINAIRE
Key aspects of selecting lighting solutions for crops
Artificial LED illumination is currently used by many fruit and vegetable farmers because of its huge benefits for crops. This innovative means of illumination improves crop performance and companies such as SECOM Iluminación have specialised in luminaires of this kind as a means of attending to the needs of this growing industry. In addition to optimising production systems, using artificial lights for plants means that crops can be grown in a sustainable manner all year round.
The requirements for improving crop quality, encouraging growth and, in turn, improving yield at a given facility can be determined through an individual and personalised illumination analysis. These analyses need to focus on a number of aspects, of which the following are of particular importance:
- Lighting solutions must adapt to suit plant development and crop type. Their characteristics determine which tone of light is most suitable.
- Taking into account that certain plants need more energy than others, energy requirements based on production type have to be addressed.
- Colour tones have to be strategically combined in order to encourage growth. Each source of light provides a different combination of colours and has a specific impact on plants and crops. Blue and red help plants to bloom. Red (600-700 nm) is suitable for direct light crops and blue (400-500 nm) encourages vegetative growth.
- Energy efficiency and savings must be pursued in order to keep electricity bills down. If a farm chooses to use artificial light, energy consumption will obviously be higher than if it opts to use natural light. However, for a number of different of reasons, natural light is not always an option and LED lights are energy efficient, making them suitable for use all day but without nasty surprises at the end of the month when the bills arrive.
Modern-day LED luminaires for crops have the technology to provide clients of all kinds with made-to-measure solutions that resolve their fruit and vegetable growing needs. They address all the points mentioned above and are both practical and easy to use.
The advantages of correct lighting
LED luminaires for crops can give farms appropriate lighting solutions for fruit and vegetables. In addition to encouraging growth, they also stimulate pigmentation and encourage blooming.
A lighting design layout project is the first step towards achieving good lighting installations. These projects determine the different types of spectrum based on the elements that need treatment and ensure appropriate climate control. This makes it possible to grow plants that are more resistant to humidity and pests.
Light fixtures that make significant energy savings are also a must if farms are to avoid electricity bills running excessively high. LED luminaires play an essential role in lighting projects of this kind.
The secom Protek Q2 luminaire
SECOM is a leading lighting technology company and, in addition to manufacturing its own illumination systems, it is constantly evolving so that clients can access the very latest products on the market. The company currently supplies the state-of-the-art Protek Q2 luminaire, an industrial spotlight designed specifically for use on fruit and vegetable farms.
The Protek Q2 is available in two different formats: 100 W and 200 W. It is manufactured specifically with crop production in mind and provides the necessary radiation for plants to develop well. This luminaire not only increases productivity, it improves crop quality.
The Protek Q2 spotlight for agricultural use is manufactured from top-quality materials that guarantee excellent performance. Its optimum combination of spectra for each type of plant is key to achieving the desired objectives. Luminosity can be increased or decreased depending on growth or blooming requirements.
For example, with these luminaires, plants that are grown horizontally can develop in indoor facilities with no sunlight. Illumination solutions with special luminaires help to achieve integral crop production without the need for pesticides. Furthermore, plants receive more intense light and 67% less radiant heat in comparison with traditional incandescent lights. It is important to keep in mind that, in order to achieve excellent results, in addition to installing lighting solutions, temperature and humidity levels must be adequate.
Depending on the type of production the client wishes to achieve, parameters such as light levels and spectrum, uniformity, position and daily exposure need to be adapted accordingly. Aspects such as space, investments in time and money and selected technology all have to be taken into account in order to maximise yield.
Clearly, LED lights for crops are the perfect solution for improving productivity in greenhouses. Thanks to specialist companies such as SECOM, targets for producing fruit and vegetables that remain in perfect condition as they bloom and grow are easy to meet.
More in our blog